- Singapore & Malaysia
- South Africa
Vehicles and tools
Why access control?
Many organisations need to control who can access their vehicles and specialist tools. It maybe to prevent staff from taking keys to vehicles for which they don't have a license to drive. It maybe to safeguard against expensive or sensitive equipment being badly treated, mislaid or stolen. It maybe to make users more accountable for the equipment they use - so they look after it better. Or, it maybe to ensure Health & Safety compliance by restricting access to dangerous vehicles and equipment, so only qualified and competent staff can use them. Whatever the reason, Traka has a range of solutions that can address the needs of most organisations.
Who uses Traka for access control?
Many industry sectors use Traka for controlling access to their company assets.
- Distribution centres use Traka for controlling who can get access to, and drive, fork lift trucks by using our intelligent iFob key and, they restrict access to specialist equipment, housed in Traka lockers, used for 'picking stock'
- The aviation industry use industrial tool cabinets which are accessed by a Traka electronic iFob key, so as to control access to, and audit the use of, tools
- The Police and other Emergency Services use intelligent lockers to restrict and control who can access specialist equipment such as firearms, PAVA spray, breathalyzer kits, Airwave radios, as well as control and audit access to retained property and evidence
- Airports use Traka's intelligent lockers for managing controlled access to security equipment and secure stores
- Universities and schools use our intelligent lockers with integrated charging facilities, controlling who can access their laptop computers
- Financial institutions and cash-in-transit organisations use Traka's electronic iFob key to control who can access secure areas, such as computer rooms and sorting rooms
What does it mean for you?
Not only can you control who can access your assets and resources but, it also means you have a full audit of all user activity. The software will automatically raise an alert when a key or an asset is not returned on time. It can also automatically lock down an asset reported as faulty and send an email or SMS text to a maintenance team or service engineer. You can monitor utilisation, schedule servicing and reserve assets in advance. And, with our easy to use, yet sophisticated, reporting functions you can quickly produce your management information reports.
How is it done?
There are four approaches, each offers a different solution depending upon the requirements of the client, the application, the degree of security - and, each has a differing level of management control too.
Although these are referred to as simple solutions, because they simply manage conventional keys, in reality they offer a huge amount of management control through the use of Traka's sophisticated software which affords all the options available on a Traka key cabinet.
- If the vehicle or equipment is typically accessed by using a conventional key, then the easiest approach is to manage and restrict who can access the key (and hence the asset it controls) by using a Traka key management cabinet.
- If the tool or piece of equipment is fairly bulky, then housing the asset in an industrial metal locker is a simple, low cost, option. The key to the locker is then managed by using a Traka key management cabinet.
Advanced solutions adopt a different approach to controlling user access to specialist tools and equipment. This is achieved by either housing them in a Traka RFID locker or by adapting an industry standard tool cabinet so that it is accessed by our intelligent iFob (iKey).
- Specialist equipment which needs to be controlled and managed can be housed in a Traka intelligent locker and the asset RFID tagged. The configured Traka software determines, firstly, if a user can access the locker, and secondly, which compartment and hence, which piece of equipment. Because the asset is RFID tagged the system will know the exact time that it was taken, when it was returned, and by whom. The software offers a huge range of management control and information reporting.
- Industry standard tool cabinets, computer racks or even doors to secure areas can be fitted with a Traka access control system utilising a receptor socket, Immobilisor and intelligent iFob (iKey) as the electronic key. This solution offers a fully audited system, controlling exactly which assets each user can access - all using a single iKey.
To find out more about Traka solutions which help organisations' better manage their assets, telephone us now to talk with our experts.